What to do during COVID: Commitments and Community
“Like waves in the ocean, all things are impermanent. I must take whatever happens and make it my friend.” It helps to contemplate impermanence and to remember that this virus too will pass. But make this period my friend? I'm challenging myself to adhere to a plan, in the interest in making friendship with what is.
- Set an intention at the start of the day. Remembering that this day (moment) has never been here before and will never be here again, I’ll intend to make it meaningful and to use my time wisely.
- Do ½ to 1 hour of breathing and meditation practice in the morning before breakfast. But if that isn’t viable, practice even for a few minutes each day.
- Record three things for which I’m grateful, every day, and steep in gratitude for each one.
- Aim to get outdoors in fresh air, even if it means bundling up and walking up and down the block.
- Work on “accepting the things I can’t change, changing the things I can and having the wisdom to know the difference.”
- Practice yoga and cardiovascular fitness, 3 – 5 times a week.
- Study, read, learn and improve my skills.
- Engage in community and remain connected.*
- Eat healthier and more mindfully.
- Practice generosity during this time when so many people are struggling.
- Sit with unpleasant emotions that are sure to arise and offer comfort and compassion.
- Refrain from beating myself up if I don’t live up to my aspirations.